Wersja polska

Wroclaw Medical University

 
  Home page
Wednesday 26th November 2014
 
 
Home page Print E-mail
History

On August 24, 1945 the first Polish college of education was established – the University and the University of Technology. One of 6 faculties of the new college was Faculty of Medicine. In the 1945/1946 academic year 529 students were accepted, including 444 to the first 3 years of medicine, and 85 to the first year of pharmacy. Faculty of Pharmacy was then transformed into Medical Academy and in 1950 the Medical Academy consisted of 2 faculties, i.e. Faculty of Medicine with Division of Dentistry and Faculty of Pharmacy with Medical Laboratory Diagnostics Division since 1979.
In 1978 Faculty of Nursing was established. In 2001 the Faculty of Nursing was renamed the Faculty of Public Health. In 2008 the Faculty of Public Health was renamed the Faculty of Health Science.
In 1992 Faculty of Postgraduate Medical Training was established.
In 2000 Faculty of Dentistry was established.. Currently the Faculty is one of three independent dental faculties in the country.
In 2003 English Division was established in Faculty of Medicine. The Division is a unit for teaching foreign students in the Faculty of Medicine and Faculty of Dentistry. The teaching is conducted in English, and the curriculum of study is identical with current in Polish. Students of English Division are mainly Swedish, Norwegian, German, United Stated of America and Canada citizens. In the 2008/2009 academic year there are 251 students of English Division, including 206 in Faculty of Medicine and 45 in Faculty of Dentistry.
Simultaneously with teaching activities the University carries out clinical and scientific research. In many areas, excellent results were obtained. On February 12, 1958 Professor. W. Bross first performed an open-heart surgery, and on March 31, 1966, the first kidney transplantation from a living donor. These achievements were prominent in whole Europe then. The Third Clinical Department of Surgery headed by Professor Z. Jezioro specialized in reconstructive esophageal surgery in the 1960s and 1970s taking the leading position in the country. In addition, work in the field of microbiology (L. Hirszfeld), biochemistry and enzymology (Z. Albert, T. Baranowski, E. Szczeklik, M. Orłowski and A. Szewczuk), spatial vectorcardiography (H. and Z. Kowarzyk), bacteriology (S. Ślopek), pregnancy and fetal pathology (H. Hirszfeldowa), experimental surgery (W. Bross), drug chemistry (B. Bobrański) were awarded state prizes.
The largest investment of the Wroclaw Medical University is the construction of the Clinical Centre. The Clinical Centre consists of 9 buildings with total capacity 475 000 m3 where the University Hospital health centres and clinics run or will run soon. In January 2008, the first phase of the Clinical Centre construction was finished. More than a dozen clinics, laboratory diagnostic workshops, a modern operating suite and a laboratory diagnostic centre are located there.
Wroclaw Medical University is the largest centre for specialized treatment of patients from Lower Silesia, Opole, Lubuska Region. 2 university hospitals (the University Hospital and the University Hospital no. 1) are equipped with modern instrumentation and diagnostic tools including 64-row computer tomography scanner (CT coronarography, CT perfusion imaging, CT angiography), a 1.5T magnetic resonance scanner using advanced software (MR spectroscopy, functional MRI, MR diffusion tensor). The hospitals provide highly specialized services using the latest methods of treatment, including the following: immunoablation in the treatment of bone aplasia, immunosuppressive treatment following a vascular organ or bone marrow transplantation, taxoids in combination therapy of ovarian cancer etc.
Wroclaw Medical University actively participates in all projects for the advances in science, entrepreneurship, technological innovation, both with public authorities, local governments, and enterprises. The university cooperates with other universities in the implementation of innovation projects aimed at building knowledge-based economy. The university is also a partner of many leading companies and business clusters, such as the Wroclaw Research Centre EIT +, Wrocław Medical Science and Technology Park, e-Health Cluster, University Centre for Technology Transfer, Cluster “Knowledge and Innovation Community for Information and Communication Technologies”, Consortium – Wroclaw Institute of Public Health, Wroclaw Medical University Foundation, Pharmaceutical Production Company HASCO-LEK S.A., Alzheimer's Treatment Centre in Scinawa
Although Wroclaw Medical University has no technical character, it has obtained about 450 patents for inventions, including several in European countries. In 2007, the university received 12, and our scientists applied for another 23 innovations. A number of solutions is created in collaboration with researchers from the Wroclaw University of Technology, the Wrocław University of Environmental and Life Sciences, and the University of Wroclaw. Wroclaw Medical University holds utility model as well as evening primrose model. Part of the inventions are new medicinal substances and pharmaceutical products. Materials and devices used in dental prosthetics, gynecology and surgery are patented. New patent applications included cell lines, tests of assay, and an extracorporeal blood purification system. Many inventions are applied in clinics and departments of the University. The University has signed licensing agreements with pharmaceutical companies.
Currently Academy pursues its program of assisting the commercialization of inventive activities, which received funding from the Ministry of Science and Higher Education Project "Creator of Innovativeness"

ISO 9001 certification
The certificate achieved in 2002 involves scientific and didactic processes. The certificate is a confirmation of the order of internal organizational processes and the basic argument for creating a trust to the University. certificate increases the credibility of the University. It is also important in the case of cooperation with foreign research centres.
Wroclaw Medical University has received the ISO 9001 certificate as the first medical university in Poland.

Erasmus Programme
Wroclaw Medical University participates in the exchange of students, PhD students and academic staff from the academic year 1998/1999. In 2007/2008 academic year these activities are carried out in “Lifelong Learning” programme. Currently Wroclaw Medical University occupies the leading position in international exchange. The University was granted the Erasmus University Charter and this is the basis for exchange of scientific workers and students.

Enrolment
Enrolment of students in all faculties took place in 2008 solely by electronic means. Wroclaw Medical University is the first university in Poland, which introduced this way of recruitment.

Quality of teaching
In September 2008, the post-graduate examinations for doctors and dentists were held. Post-graduate students who conducted their internships in Wroclaw Medical University and the hospitals, were the best prepared for State Examination of Medical Doctor (LEP) and State Examination of Dental Doctor (LDEP) among all other Polish students.
Wroclaw Medical University is a state university school of medical sciences, acting under the Law on Higher Education (Journal of Laws 2005, No. 164, item 1365). The University employs academic and non-academic teachers.
Wroclaw Medical University currently employs 1,758 workers, including 1,072 teachers and 686 non-teaching staff. The staff includes: 99 people with the scientific title of professor, 105 people with a Ph.D. degree and 676 people with doctorate degrees. Their desire for continuous development and their enthusiasm and determination in achieving their goals are to us a model to follow and the performance on the field of science - a permanent reason for pride.
Wroclaw Medical University in the latest ranking of universities for 2009, organized by the daily newspaper "Rzeczpospolita" and monthly "Perspektywy" took third place among the medical schools in Poland, which is the best result in the 10-year history of the ranking. The University was also awarded a special prize by "Awans 2009" for the biggest leap in the ranking list, i.e. from the twenty-fourth to the thirteenth place among all universities in Poland. It also took third place among the medical schools in Poland in the ranking of higher education conducted by the Academic Information Centre. The ranking is sponsored by POLSKA THE TIMES, ONET i RMF MAXX.