Wersja polska

Wroclaw Medical University

  Home page arrow Faculty of Pharmacy
Saturday 25th October 2014
 
 
History Print E-mail
The Faculty of Pharmacy was established in 1946 as part of the Pharmacy Unit at the Faculty of Medicine of the Wroclaw University and Technical University, and in 1950 it became the Faculty of Pharmacy at Wroclaw Medical University. In the 1957/1958 academic year, five-year courses were introduced which ended with the graduates writing and defending their masterís theses. In the 1979/1980 academic year, the Medical Laboratory Diagnostics Unit was established to educate future medical laboratory workers and clinical pathologists. In July 2006, a co-operation agreement with the pharmaceutical production company HASCO-LEK was concluded involving an educational program in industrial pharmacy. This was the first agreement in Poland of a pharmaceutical company and a medical university. In March 2007 the State Accreditation Committee recognised the quality of education in the first- and second level courses in analytical medicine and the MA degree program.

Pharmacy has a 60-year tradition in Wroclaw and has had notable scientific and implementational achievements. Polish drugs have originated in Wroclaw, such as Vratizolin, invented by Prof. Zdzisław Machoń, and Ipronal, by Prof. Bogusław Bobrański. Faculty scientists developed the technology for extracting evening primrose (Oenothera paradoxa) oil. The oil contains a high amount of essential fatty acids, mostly gamma-linolenic acid (GLA). Prof. Eliza Lamer-Zarawska designed a drug, Oeparol, containing this oil. The conditions for isolating Scutellaria baicalensis extracts were developed which helped in the design of drugs displaying anti-inflammatory, tissue regenerative, and antibacterial actions, for example Baikadent, a dental preparation in the form of a gel which is highly effective in the prevention and treatment of periodontal disease.